Friday, September 7, 2012

Dream Catchers for Special Olympics

The August project for Artist's Helping Hands was to make dream catchers that will be given out as prizes at the Special Olympics.

I had a lot of fun making these, but it took much longer than I thought it would.  I should be better prepared if we do it again next year.

The first thing I learned was that wetting the branches didn't really help.  Just getting them bent into loops as soon as possible was best.  Leaving them outside in Texas heat while cutting more branches is not good.  So cut, bend, cut, etc.

The tutorial I was vaguely following showed to dip the yarn into watered-down glue as you wrap.  I would not recommend this.  It was so messy.  I was splashing glue all over myself and the couch.  After not too long, I just wrapped the yarn and then put the glue on.

I quickly realized that the yarn held itself pretty well.  Halfway around the first one I stopped applying glue at all until it was entirely wrapped.

After it dried, I decided I really didn't like the look of the wrapping.  I don't know if you can see in this picture, but to me it looked like a cast.  For all the rest, I only applied glue to the inside and I like how they turned out much more.

With glue covering all the yarn

With glue only on the inside

The beads donated by Gwen really brought these dream catchers together.  Some were wonderfully glazed a bright blue with silver writing and/or glitter.  Others were left unglazed which made them safer to be handled by younger children. 

I played around with several different yarns.  My favorite for my own style preferences was the brown fuzzy yarn.  I really like how the fibers blended with the cotton thread of the webbing, making it even more web-like.  It also looked very natural (as in, from nature) to me while still being glittery and fun.

Here they all are hanging to dry after I applied some glue to make sure the knots would hold and the wrapping would stay in place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment