Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Modern and Historical





The ladder pattern is a pretty basic inkle pattern.  It is simple but sometimes that's what's wanted.  I like how this pattern turned out.  The stark black, white and red creates a very modern art look.










H H B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B H H
 H H H H H H H R R H B B H R R H H H H H H H 

H = White
B = Black
R = Red

weft = White



I think I have more trouble writing these patterns out here than I do coming up with them.  I don't know when I stopped writing stuff down in the planning stage but it's been awhile.  I used to have a little notebook where I would count out warps and write where each color would go. Now I just kinda do it.  

I'm not sure how to help others come to the same point.  I think part of what changed for me is that I see patterns on top of backgrounds rather than the whole thing as a pattern.  This design to me is a black ladder on top of a background.  I played with the background a bit by adding red lines.  

To this end, I did not put the warp on by alternating up and down sheds.  Instead I did the four border threads that way.  Then I continued with the white on the bottom shed.  As I reached the end of the bottom shed I put the four whites up and down for the other border.  Only then did I put on the rest of the top shed warps.  Then when putting the heddles on, I moved the warps so they alternated correctly.  (this depends on putting the heddles on after, rather than during, warping)

To try and be more clear, this is the order I put on the warps:

H H                                                                     H H
 H H H H H H H R R H B B H R R H H H H H H H

then:

 B B B B B B B B B  B B B B B B B B B B









This warping style was even faster for this band












B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B T T T B B B
 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y G G G Y Y Y

B = Black
Y = Yellow
weft = Yellow


No comments:

Post a Comment