Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Ping Pong Pattern

This pattern has nothing to do with the game.  I just titled it that way because that's what the main novelty yarn in this pattern is called.

Anyone who's followed my work can see I love working with lots of different yarns.  My favorite part of weaving is the way colors and textures are drawn together and play off each other.  So when the yarn itself is already fascinating, I just can't resist.

Often I find myself wanting to repeat a pattern in a different color.  However, it never happens.  I start down another project, thinking I'll get back to the other pattern but then I get distracted by other things.

Well, I finally did it.  I had three sets of colors picked out.  I only made two of them because I was aiming for a guitar strap width.  The first was way too wide.  The second was kinda wide.  For the third, I gave up and dropped the brown.

Here's the pattern in maroon and green:
Here's the pattern how I think of it:

4G 3M 2B 10M 3B 1G 1B (1M) repeat in reverse
( ) denotes middle warp, not repeated

G = Green = Forest Green
Sensations, Angel Hair (Jo-Ann's)
22% Wool, 50% Acrylic, 28% Nylon

B = Brown = Mocha Madness
Bernat, Ping Pong
73% Acrylic, 27% Nylon

M = Maroon = ?
Probably RedHeart
100% Acrylic

Weft = Maroon

Here's the pattern in a more standard format:
G  G  M  M  B  M   M  M  M  M  B  G  M  G  B  M  M  M  M  M   B  M  M  G  G
  G  G  M   B  M  M  M  M  M   B  B  B   B   B  B  M  M   M  M  M  B  M   G  G


Here's the pattern in yellow and purple:
I love how very different this band looks, yet when directly compared to the above it's obvious they're the same.

The pattern is the same except the large yellow section is only 8 warps, not 10.  I was trying to reduce the width to make it a guitar strap.  I think it was a lucky happenstance.  The brighter color should be skinnier to be the same weight in the pattern.  Any wider and it might have overpowered the purple edging.

width of maroon = 2 3/4 inches
width of yellow = 2 1/2 inches
width of blue = 2 inches

The last band I made in this series did end up being a guitar strap.  It's much skinnier than the ones above.  I really love the blue and orange together.  I still think they'd look great with the brown too.  Who knows, maybe I'll make this pattern again someday.  For now other projects are calling.


Pattern:
3O, 1R, 2O, 22B, 2O, 1R, 3O
Weft = Blue

B = Blue = Medium Navy
Bernat
100% Acrylic

O = Orange = Copper
Caron, Bliss
60% Acrylic, 40% Nylon

R = Rust
Aunt Lydia's Heavy Rug Yarn
75% Rayon, 25% Cotton









1 comment: