Sunday, June 24, 2012

Yarn Scrapbook

I have made what is quite possibly the world's ugliest scrapbook.  I don't need it to be pretty though.  I made it to keep track of the yarns I have used.

I tend to dislike listing new items because when I use a lot of novelty yarns, I will forget what exactly is in a particular weaving.  I feel it's important to let the customers know the fiber content for allergy and preference reasons.  So I'll often find myself getting up from the computer to rummage through a bin or shelf, to try and find the labels for the yarn I used.

I often ball my yarn so the labels will get misplaced.  Then I have random labels floating around that I can't remember what yarn they came from.  The more new yarns I play with, the worse it gets.

I decided to compile them in a book.  I used one of those composition books.  A binder might be better because the yarn causes the book to not lay flat, but I had it around.  I did not put them in any particular order.  With a binder I could have rearranged them by type or alphabetical order or brand, etc.

Here's a couple sample pages:


This book will be useful to remind me what exactly a yarn look liked.  For instance, I might remember something had eyelash style yarn, but how long were the fibers?  How often is the color change in a variegate?  If I wanted to buy something again, what was the color name floral based or a food?

I also included price tags when I had them.  Receipts would work too. I can use the price info if I need to buy retail for a custom order.  Having the yardage is helpful.  Sometimes it's easy to forget how quickly a bulky yarn can be used up.

If you're the type to use a lot of yarns and might want to remember your favorites more easily, I would recommend making yourself some sort of reference book.  It takes a few hours to make at first, but keeping it updated with new yarns is easy.  You might be surprised by how big it gets.  I know I was.  My book is 50 pages front and back, and several of the pages have multiple colors of the same yarn.  And I know I have more new yarns in my stash that won't get added until I use them.

So no more bags and piles of loose labels.  Make a yarn scrapbook instead!

2 comments:

  1. Just found your post after trying to figure out how to organize my yarn stash. You may think your book is ugly, but it's perfect. All labels and yarn in one spot. So simple, it's genius. I crochet, so I'm thinking a small swatch worked up on each page. Using a binder so it will accommodate the size and so I can move the pages around and add to it. Just wanted you to know I appreciate this post. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been away from this blog for awhile so I only just saw this comment, but I'm glad you found the idea useful. I probably should cut the pages out and place them in a binder someday. It would be much easier to have them alphabetical, or by material, or anything other than random, lol.

      Delete