Sunday, June 19, 2011

3 Matching Bands

I have an idea for an outfit that requires three bands. The halter top would have a wide band around the bottom and a skinny trim around the neck. A matching belt would pull in whatever skirt or shorts are worn. This outfit would be for my wife of course. I got some nicer yarn out of my stash and set about attempting to make three matching bands. I wanted them to feel like they were the same band but obviously couldn't use the exact same pattern given the drastic width differences.

I'm rather happy with my end result though somehow the teal ate the green and the resulting piece is rather blue. My wife is a fire sign and her favorite color is green. These pieces remind me of the bits of flowers and shells mermaids stick in their hair. I guess that's what mermaids do, akin to how unicorns spend all there time standing in sunbeams. Anyway, they feel very water, which is not fire or green so she probably won't ever wear them.



I actually tried the belt twice. This is my first attempt. I wasn't happy with how much the brown stood out in the middle of the belt. The wide band and the trim had a mottled feel and this belt was just too regular. Not sure I'm explaining myself but below is my next attempt.





In this one I feel the brown was re-weighted back to being a secondary color and the entire band was more green and randomly patterned. I'm wondering if I should have had brown in the trim but don't really feel like revisiting this particular pattern again even though I really like it.

The belt I've rejected will find it's way onto Etsy sometime soon. The other three may show up there as well unless my wife decides she'll wear them after all.

I'm going to try this concept of matching bands again. It's a fun challenge. I'm also apparently going into a phase of making more mottled patterns.

Here's patterns for the four bands shown above:

R = Wool-ease Oxford Grey
H = Wool-ease Heather Green
E = Cashsoft DK Merino/Cashmere Blend Orange
B = DK Brown
G = DK Light Green
T = Teal (wool? single ply)
L = Patons Evita - Nylon Ladder style yarn, bulky, variegated green, grey and orange
color change every two inches

Wide band, weft G

H L R R T E H B G R L L L H T H T H L L L R G B H E T R R L H
.T R R T H H H B B R L L H H H H H H L L R B B H H H T R R T

Trim, weft R

G H H L L L H H G
.E T H L L H T E

Belt attempt one - brown center, weft G

R R H T L B B E B B L T H R R
.R R L H L G B B G L H L R R

Belt attempt two, weft G

H T R T L H H G H H L T R T H
.H B L R L E H H E L R L B H

The wide band is 2 1/2 inches wide. The trim is 15/16 of an inch. The belts are 1 3/8 inches wide. All of these yarns, except the teal, are a bit skinnier than acrylic but much fatter than crochet thread. The teal looked fat but being single ply it squished in a lot.

And just for fun, here's a picture of what I get to deal with when weaving or photographing. I guess the freshly laid out paper in front of the bird watching window was too much of a temptation. So long as they don't eat my yarn I consider it a victory.


1 comment:

  1. Quantum Binary Signals

    Get professional trading signals delivered to your cell phone daily.

    Start following our signals NOW & profit up to 270% per day.

    ReplyDelete