Saturday, May 28, 2011
While I will admit to messing up every now and again, I've never found pick-up weaving to be that difficult. Rather than thinking in terms of sheds, I separate the warps mentally into the pattern threads and the background threads. Following this thinking, I started playing with changing the colors under the pattern to add complexity.
On this band the yellow in the border is echoed behind the arrow pattern. I'm really happy with the color balance in this piece. The number of views it's gotten on Etsy seems to indicate others agree.
I will warn you, when done in acrylic as shown this piece comes out very wide. It is three inches wide which is more than most applications call for. Hopefully I, or someone else, will think of something to do with this band because I think this pattern is weighted so well, I wouldn't change anything about it. If done in cotton crotchet thread it should be about an inch which would be more useful.
B = Black
W = White
P = Purple
Y = Yellow
Weft is White
B B Y P Y B W W P Y W P W W P W W P W W P W W P W Y P W W B Y P Y B B
.B B Y P Y B W W Y P W W P W W P W W P W W P W W P Y W W B Y P Y B B
Here's another band I did playing with changing the background separately from changing the pattern. The background goes in rainbow order one direction, while the diagonal stripes pattern goes in reverse rainbow order. It was a little confusing where the yellows overlapped but I think it came out okay. I'm only disappointed in the orange because what I had was more peach colored. It didn't seem to bad on it's own but I don't like how it turned out with the red.